Tips for Precinct Captains
Helpful tips for effective efforts
- Write down the name, e-mail and phone numbers of volunteers otherwise they do not exist.
- When I would see a Republican candidate's yard sign, I will go to the door and ask if they would like other candidate signs.
- Voter registration can be done by precinct captains. The training is easy. Go to www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/registration-drives/index.html. Training can be done online and the test taken for certification online.
- Farmers markets were a fun place to hand out candidate and the republican slate flyers.
- Work booths for local GOP events, festivals, gun shows, parades, jamborees, and fairs.
- Work the polls inside or outside and thank people for voting.
- Back to school night handouts are fun to do, everyone is in a good mood as no one has received a report card yet.
- It is a courtesy to give 40 feet free space from the door and mandatory 40 feet during elections.
- Stuff envelopes and write postcards, easy peasy!
- Assemble yard signs.
- Personally I think cold calling no longer works.
- Keep it positive and don't engage naysayers who are looking for a fight as you will not change their mind.
- Recruit and keep track of volunteers remember to thank each one for their efforts.
by Jonathan Erickson
Algonkian District, Galilee Church, Precinct 219